Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department
The Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1887 with its first truck, a chemical engine, being purchased that year. An Ordinance in May of 1887 provided for issuing bonds of $3,000.00 to purchase a fire engine and other firefighting equipment. The fleet of equipment was kept at City Hall until 1956 when Coe Manatt and his sister, Nellie Mannatt Sherwood, donated the pasture land south of the William Manatt House on Jackson Street to the department. A new building was constructed there at the cost of $10,000.00. An addition of three stalls was built in 1976.
February 1, 2010, the bid of $1,052,600.00 was accepted from Bushong Construction Company, Montezuma, IA for the construction of the new Public Safety Building. It is located at 400 E Pershing and houses both the East Poweshiek Ambulance Service and the Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department.